Total Pageviews

Saturday 15 October 2011

Another Cotton Update

Thought you might like to see how the cotton seed pods are coming along. The largest, pictured below, measures 1.25 inches in diameter.


I came back into the house and "squashed up" a cotton boll, and it measured about 1.5 inches diameter, so not much to go.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the good weather will continue (and it is forecast to stay warm) until it manages to ripen.  For the last 4 days we've had 30 deg C. - today is only 29 deg because of a breeze, but we have full sunshine.

I'd be so happy to just get one cotton boll out of all this, to prove a point if nothing else.  (A friend, two years ago, laughed at me for trying to grow cotton - he said I'd never manage it!)  Please, please, please let me prove him wrong!! - preferably this year if that's OK.

The last of our summer visitors have now left, and I'm getting the house back to normal - washing done, most of the cleaning done (I can't settle to clean when there are people around, so it gets left), but still a large pile of ironing.  After that, there will be spinning, there will be knitting, there will be dyeing.  In fact this is sitting waiting to be dyed, so would like to get on with it in the next few days.


This is merino plied with a strand of tussah silk.  It was spun quite finely as I need a lace weight yarn for a special project.  Can't tell you what it is yet, but I have 470 yards of supersoft lustrousness.  Let's hope it's still as nice after I've dyed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment